SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. It is an acronym often used to guide setting goals, objectives or targets. It is a tool that helps to ensure that the objectives set are clear, realistic and attainable.
- Specific: The goal must be clear and specific, well defined and easy to understand.
- Measurable: The goal must be measurable, so that progress can be tracked and success can be determined.
- Achievable: The goal must be realistic and achievable with the available resources.
- Relevant: The goal must be relevant and aligned with the overall strategy and objectives of the organization.
- Time-bound: The goal must have a deadline for completion, so that progress can be tracked and success can be determined.
Following the SMART criteria can help ensure that the goals set are clear, realistic and attainable, which will increase the chances of success.